Monday, June 8, 2009

Wedding Preparations


Then I heard what sounded like a great multitude, like the roaring of rushing waters and like loud peals of thunder, shouting: "Hallelujah! For our Lord God Almighty reigns. Let us rejoice and be glad and give him glory! For the wedding of the Lamb has come, and his bride has made herself ready. Fine linen, bright and clean, was given her to wear." Revelation 19: 6-8

As my youngest daughter prepares for her wedding next month, I've been reminded of what great detail and planning goes into a wedding. Of course we had to find the most beautiful dress. The flowers for the bouquet have to be exactly right to match the dress. Great care is taken in selecting the music and decorations, and the excitement in the air is contagious. Nothing shines brighter than a young girls eyes when she talks about her fiance, and nothing compares to her excitement as the wedding day approaches. Being a hopeless romantic, I'm enjoying every minute of it! There is just something special about preparing for a wedding that makes the cares of everyday life seem to fade away. When the wedding date is weeks away, nearly everything you think about or do is centered around that much- anticipated event.

While preparing for my daughters wedding day, I've been thinking about what will be the greatest wedding celebration of all time; the day Christ, the bridegroom, comes for the church, his bride. We do not know when that day will come, but it certainly could happen at any time. It will be the ultimate wedding celebration! Scripture tells us to be ready, yet it seems as if few Christians today are even thinking about it.


We must get ready! When the bridegroom arrives for the wedding, what will he find us doing? Will he find us well-prepared and longing for his arrival or will he find us caught up in selfish pursuits scarcely thinking about him at all? Are we beautifully dressed spiritually or is our wedding gown stained with pride, selfishness, and ungratefulness? Can others see the love sparkling in our eyes when we talk about our bridegroom? Are we exuding excitement that is contagious? Are we so focused on our heavenly wedding that our earthly cares and worries just seem to fade away?

Just as my daughter's special day draws near, our heavenly wedding celebration draws nearer and nearer with each passing day. What a glorious day it will be! I want my bridegroom to find me prepared when he arrives. I want to be beautifully dressed in my finest spiritual attire, eyes sparkling with love for him, and my heart longing with anticipation to see his face. I want my excitement to be contagious. It could happen at any moment.
It's time for the bride to get ready!

No comments:

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online