Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Be Still and Pray

Then Jesus told his disciples a parable to show them that they should always pray and not give up. Luke 18:1

Over the past several weeks, I've grown discouraged by the limitations brought about by my recent health issues. I feel as if I'm not able to do much of anything, and pain and exhaustion seem to be my constant companions. I don't have the energy to keep up with the things I used to do, and doing the usual household work is a challenge most days. At times I become frustrated and wonder what I can actually do that won't bring on pain and more exhaustion. I watch other grandmothers taking their grandchildren places and spending time with them, and often wonder what is wrong with me. I was beginning to wonder if I was any good for anyone and I started to feel rather worthless.



After having a major pity party for myself the other day, I had a "light bulb" moment that I feel God impressed upon my heart. Though I'm limited physically and I can't do as much with my grandchildren as I would like to or do as much around the house as I once did, I am doing the most important thing of all; I am praying for my children and grandchildren daily, as well as holding other friends and family members up in prayer. Prayer takes time and what a wonderful privilege it is to hold others up in prayer, especially our grandchildren and children. They desperately need our prayers. We live in a time when spiritual warfare is increasing and our families are under incredible attacks from the enemy. As christian women we can impact our families in huge ways by praying for them. I've seen the power of prayer at work in my own family many times and I know it works!


Though physically I can't accomplish a lot, spiritually I can accomplish great things. Prayer is something we can do regardless of our health conditions. Even if we are flat on our backs in bed, we can be prayer warriors for our loved ones. I've heard many accounts of grandmothers and mothers who prayed and made an impact on their families. Some of them didn't even live to see their prayers answered, but the answers did come later on. A speaker I was listening to recently told a story about his praying grandmother. He was always in trouble as a child and everyone had given up on him, but his grandmother always reminded him that she was praying for him. He grew up and was still getting in trouble as a young adult. His grandmother didn't lose heart. She faithfully prayed and let him know she was praying. Years later, after she has passed away, he was driving home one night and couldn't stop thinking about his grandmother and how she always reminded him she was praying for him. He felt led to find a church and start going. Soon after, he dedicated his life to the Lord and later started working in ministry. He said he was so thankful that he had a grandmother who prayed.


I'm slowly learning to accept my physical limitations as blessings. God is showing me repeatedly that this is a season to be still and know Him. It is a season to slow down and focus on that which is most important of all. It's a season that gives me the privilege of holding up before His throne of grace those dearest to me, my children and grandchildren. I have a small photo album that I keep in my quiet time basket. It holds photos of each of my children and grandchildren. I like to spread it out before the Lord as I pray for each one of them daily, just as Hezekiah spread out the letter from the messengers in 2 Kings 19: 14-15.

I've already seen many answers to prayers within my own family in the past. Some remain unanswered and that is okay too. I know in God's perfect timing He will work all things out according to his will. I need not be concerned about when the answers will come. I simply need to keep praying for my loved ones and cherish this new season of life; a season filled with spiritual blessings brought about through the power of prayer.


No comments:

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online