Saturday, January 10, 2009

Quilting Therapy

She makes coverings for her bed; she is clothed in fine linen and purple. Proverbs 31: 22

"Hands to work, hearts to God" was a saying I heard frequently during my childhood. My mom and grandmother also used to say, "Busy hands are happy hands." I never really thought much about those sayings when I was a child, but now that I'm older I can certainly appreciate the meaning of them. Especially, since I've been battling a severe case of "cabin fever" lately; the cold temperatures keeping me housebound more than usual.

My niece, Jessica, called me last night to ask some advice on home decorating fabrics. We were online looking at fabric when I suddenly realized how much I missed sewing! I felt a renewed excitement seeing all the new fabric designs and colors. I realized it had been ages since I worked on any crafts. Sewing was good therapy in the past when I was dealing with "cabin fever," so I figured I could use a little "quilt therapy" and spent time today sifting through my fabric stash and unfinished projects. I was so thankful for Jessica's phone call, because it made me aware of what I've been missing. There's just something soothing about working with fabric to create a beautiful design that is good for whatever ails you!

Winter is far from over, and that is okay. I hope to enjoy many"quilting therapy" sessions in front of the window while I watch the birds flitting about at my feeders outside. With my mind focused on God's rich blessings and my hands busy quilting, I can survive the worst case of "cabin fever. Hands to work, hearts to God.

No comments:

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online