Friday, October 31, 2008

A Gentle Reminder

Be at rest once more, O my soul, for the Lord has been good to you. Psalm 116: 7

Life has been busy here in my mountain nest over the past week or two, allowing me little time to meander through the woods as I had been doing throughout much of the fall. The home office makeover, an extra workload for my at-home MT job, and colder than usual weather all played a part in keeping me indoors, away from the beauty of nature. It's strange how one can become so caught up in doing "stuff" that the days run into nights and weeks pass by without one finding the time to pause and look at the beauty that surrounds them.

This afternoon, while still caught up in the "stuff" of daily living, I was busy typing medical reports when a Tufted Titmouse began to peck at my office window, almost as if to say, "Hey, we haven't seen you in the woods lately!" I've had birds peck near the window before, but this little bird just sat there for the longest time looking right at me, furiously pecking at the window every few seconds. It was quite entertaining, and one of those moments when I wished I had my camera nearby. I stopped working and just sat there enjoying this rare show when I noticed the Dark-eyed Juncos flitting about in the yard; their arrival announcing that winter certainly is upon us.

Fascinated by the bird activity going on outside, I put my work aside and decided to go for a quick stroll. I didn't have a lot of time to spare, but that brief walk was such a delightful adventure for me since the temperatures were rather mild today. It was a welcome diversion in my work day. I lingered a bit longer than I should have, but being outside surrounded by nature and the arrival of the Juncos made me realize how much I've missed spending time in the woods. It was also a reminder of how quickly I can get busy doing "stuff" and neglect to take time to "stop and smell the roses."

I was amazed at how much the woods had changed in just a week! Many of the leaves have fallen providing an open and spacious view of the mountains, which also makes it easier to see various birds flying about from tree to tree. The reflection of the sky upon the pond made the water appear azure blue in color, creating a soothing and serene picture of beauty. A Junco that perched nearby me on a stump reminded me once again that the harsh winter weather is rapidly approaching. I inhaled a little deeper, tarried just a little while longer, soaking in fall's beauty, knowing it's time is short.

Sometimes we all need a gentle reminder to pause and be still for just a bit. I'm so thankful for the visit of the Tufted Titmouse at my office window today. Had the tiny bird not pecked on my window, I probably would have continued to work, caught up in the busyness of daily life, forgetting the beauty that lies just beyond my front door.



Posted by Picasa

No comments:

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online